You’ve probably been hearing about tankless water heaters more and more lately, and you may be thinking of going with one to replace your traditional water heater. But do you really need a tankless water heater? The fact is that most homes don’t, but some do – it all depends on your needs and how much money you want to spend replacing your current hot water setup. This article will break down the pros and cons of each to help you figure out if this new technology is right for you or not.
Pros of a Tankless Water Heater
- A tankless water heater can save you money in the long run because it is more energy efficient than a traditional water heater.
- You’ll never have to worry about running out of hot water with a tankless water heater because it heats water on demand.
- Tankless water heaters take up less space than traditional water heaters, so they’re perfect for small homes or apartments.
Cons of a Tankless Water Heater
- They’re expensive. The initial cost of a tankless water heater is significantly higher than that of a traditional water heater.
- They require more maintenance. Because they have more parts, tankless water heaters require more maintenance than traditional water heaters.
- They’re not always as efficient as advertised. While tankless water heaters are often advertised as being more efficient than traditional water heaters, this isn’t always the case.
- They can’t handle high demand.
Pros of a Traditional Water Heater
- They are less expensive than tankless water heaters.
- They are easier to install.
- They don’t require as much maintenance.
- They heat water faster than tankless water heaters.
- They are more reliable than tankless water heaters.
Cons of a Traditional Water Heater
- Traditional water heaters can be quite inefficient, as they are constantly heating water 24/7, whether you need it or not. This wasted energy can really add up, and tankless water heaters can help you save on your energy bill.
- Traditional water heaters can take up a lot of space.
- If they leak, they can cause a lot of damage.